The church was first documented in a record of taxation dated 1291 although two arches and their pillars are reported to date from the late 11th century, as does the font which remains in use.
The church was rebuilt and extended in 1849 and a new organ installed in 1850. It was first located at the west end of the church but has been re-sited following a complete refurbishment, which was undertaken in 1982, and it is now located on the north side of the church. The organ was rededicated in June 1983. The tower itself was not restored until 1851, when the timber upper storey was removed and replaced by flint. The height was also raised by 10 ft.